Monday, January 20, 2014

What are those bags in my yarn stash?

Week 3 = Catalog Yarn
Day 6 = January 20, 2014

     Before I get to today's yarn, I've an update on a WiP that I told you about in Week 1.
     The grocery bag is done, yeah. This is my first finished project of the new year. I can't wait to show it to all my knitting friends and then give it to (oops can't tell you because they read this blog). If you remember, this is one of the Christmas presents that did not get done in time. I think that it was well worth the wait.

     Why not stop there? Because I've more of course, I started a new project today and I expect this one to take less that a week. Check it out.
     If you remember back to October, I bought this kit at The Knit and Crochet Show in Concord, NC. This came from Toluca Knits and let me tell you, they are marketing geniuses. I plan on using the mini sock purse for my stitch markers.

     Now on to all those bags. A knitting friend once told me that whenever she buys yarn for a specific project, she puts the yarns and the pattern in a plastic grocery bag and uses a marker to label the outside of the bag. I thought this was an ingenious idea and promptly came home and did the same thing. So here are my bags of yarn projects.
 
     I have been knitting for 5 years now and my husband has NEVER asked me to knit him anything. The first thing that I knit him (a scarf) I think he wore 3 times 5 years ago.  Christmas day he was watching the 24 hr marathon of A Christmas Story on TV and he asked me to make him a stocking hat like the kind that the kid who stuck his tongue on the flag pole was wearing in the movie. So I promptly went to the store and got the yarn for his stocking hat.
Company: Lion Brand Yarns
Line: Wool-Ease
Color: Black/153, Oxford Grey/152, Grey Heather/151
Yarn Size: 4/Medium/Worsted
Yardage: 197yds/180m
Weight: 3oz/85g
Fiber Content: 80% Acrylic/20% Wool


     As you saw last week in my finished projects, I made a super cute monster for my daughter. I've designs for other monsters and thought these 2 colors would be perfect for the shadow monster.
Company: Brown Sheep Company, Inc.
Line: Shepard's Shades
Color: Ocean Floor/SS793, Seaspray/SS794
Yarn Size: 5/Bulky/H-Wstd
Yardage: 131yds/118m
Weight: 3.5oz/100g
Fiber Content: 100% Wool


     I love quick projects, because it's like instant gratification, especially when you have just finished a time consuming blanket or a sweater. The ruffle scarves are strikingly quick, simple and fashionable. I was going to make one for my Mother-in-Law, but as is the life of a knitter's project, it got put on the back burner for a while.
Company: Red Heart
Line: Boutique Sashay
Color: Tango/1943
Yarn Size: 6/Super Bulky/Bulky
Yardage: 30yds/27m
Weight: 3.5oz/100g
Fiber Content: 97% Acrylic/3% Metallic Polyester


     I submitted a pattern to a magazine in December and they didn't opt for it. So as of today, I can take it somewhere else. Thinking on the positive side of things, as I like to do, I bought the yarn ahead of time.
Company: Bernat
Line: Satin
Color: Plum Mist Heather/04306, Bordeaux/04430, Admiral/04110
Yarn Size: 4/Medium/Worsted
Yardage: 200yds/182m
Weight: 3.5oz/100g
Fiber Content: 100% Acrylic


     A few months back I got a generic news letter from Lion Brand Yarns. At the bottom there was a design contest going on and submissions were due early February. Well at the time I had a great original design that I thought was awesome, so I went out and bought the yarn, and haven't done anything since. I see a pattern emerging.
Company: Lion Brand Yarns
Line: Vanna's Choice
Color: Purple/147, Taupe/125, Dusty Green/173
Yarn Size: 4/Medium/Worsted
Yardage: 170yds/156m
Weight: 3.5oz/100g
Fiber Content: 100% Acrylic


     Yarn from a knitting friend is a wonderful thing. As you socialize and have knitting get-togethers, you begin to see patterns in what yarns and colors your fellow knitters use. A few months go by and one day your friend shows up with a bag full of yarn and says something to the effect of. "you knit with strange yarns a lot and I've had this forever. Do you want it?" Of course the answer is yes. I plan on making my girls ponchos with this yarn.
Company: Patons
Line: Pooch
Color: Purple Sunset/241065
Yarn Size: 6/Super Bulky/Bulky
Yardage: 36yds/33m
Weight: 2.4oz/70g
Fiber Content: 63% Acrylic/27% Wool/10% Nylon


     When a family member starts a question with, "How much will it cost me for you to make...," jump for joy inside. You deserve it and don't underestimate your skills. They would not have asked you if they didn't think you were talented. My husband's step-grandma asked me to knit a throw for her couch. We went yarn shopping together to find that colors that she wanted. I love these colors! 
Company: Sensations
Line: Cuddle Muffin (multi colored yarn) Cuddle (solid color yarn)
Color: White-Turq-Brown/CD-05, Brown/CU-06, Turquoise/49907
Yarn Size: 3/Light/DK
Yardage: 404yds/370m
Weight: 3.5oz/100g
Fiber Content: 70% Acrylic/30% Nylon


     These next 3 are all for baby blankets. I started designing baby blankets when I first began knitting again in 2009. It seemed like everyone was pregnant. Well, things have not slowed down one bit. I have made 7 and have 3 more that I need to get done. Baby blankets are so much fun because the Moms-to-be are emotional and will LOVE (not being sarcastic at all) that you took the time to hand knit their child something. They are also fun because the yarn is so soooooooooft, I mean really, really, really, really soft.
Company: Bernat
Line: Baby Coordinates
Color: No labels as you can see
Yarn Size: 3/Light/DK
Yardage: 388yds/355m
Weight: 5oz/140g
Fiber Content: 75.2% Acrylic/22.2% Rayon/2.6% Nylon
Company: Bernat
Line: Pipsqueak
Color: Sittin' Pretty/59315, Baby Blue/59128, Tickle Me Pink/59421
Yarn Size: 5/Bulky/H-Worsted
Yardage: 120yds/109m
Weight: 3.5oz/100g
Fiber Content:100% Polyester
Company: Bernat
Line: Pipsqueak
Color: Baby Blue/59128, Multi color unknown
Yarn Size: 5/Bulky/H-Worsted
Yardage: 120yds/109m
Weight: 3.5oz/100g
Fiber Content:100% Polyester

     I love knitting for other people. It makes me smile and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. So I guess I will continue with the best of intentions for completeing these projects.  If you get a baby blanket for your 2-year-old, or a scarf in July just say "Thank you." That's all we knitters ask.

Question of the day
What project took you the longest to make and what was it?


Knitting from the Back Burner,

Victoria

1 comment:

  1. khalooqdoko@gmail.comJanuary 12, 2017 at 2:41 AM

    hello
    I love your sock coin purse pattern
    I would love to buy as same as this pattern
    have an idea how can I get one
    thank you

    ReplyDelete