Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Projects and guests oh my!

Week 2 = Catalog Finished Projects
Day 7 = January 14, 2014


     Today when I was looking though my photos, I found a few more finished projects that had escaped me. Here they are.

     Knitting for family members is so much fun and when it's for a family member and a special occasion, wow, that's a double whammy! Below is my beautiful niece wearing the shawl I made for her baptism back in October. The shape of the shawl is a trapezoid with a seed stitch border and crisscross pattern in the middle, as you can see in the picture on the far right. I made the design to match some nice crisscross stitching on the front of her dress.
 Pure Innocence (Original Design)

     I love breaking down the look of something in my mind and seeing if I can piece it together for a pattern. In this case, it worked beautifully. In creating the scarf and hat, I wanted 2 colors of stripes that increased and decreased row counts in opposite directions. As you see on the scarf, the light blue towards the bottom of the picture is wide and the dark blue is narrow. As you move up in rows the light blue gets narrower and the bark blue gets wider.
Distance Stripes Hat and Scarf (Original Design) 

     You can learn the strangest things on You Tube. Like what, you ask? Well, did you know that there is such a thing as ARM knitting? Yes, I mean the arms attached to your upper torso. You use your arms as the needles to knit several strands of super chunky yarn and you get a cool draped cowl like this.
Scarm  (Original Design) 

     Does any one remember Holly Homemaker? I picture Holly Homemaker from the 50's wearing this apron. You might ask why KNIT an apron when you can buy one? Well, as most knitters will say, "Because I wanted to see if I could." This apron also has the same beautiful crisscross design of my niece's shawl.
Holly's Apron (Original Design) 

     I made these 2 scarves while playing with the idea of knitting the same pattern vertically and horizontally. They are both knit in a stair step pattern, with the peach scarf going vertically and the green one going horizontally.

 Stairwell (Original Design)

     This is part 1 of a 2 part entry. The scarf on the left is what I call the lattice pattern, with a funny looking elongated stitch. The special stitch makes the scarf quite airy and light while also knitting up quickly. It can also be done as a shawl or headband, as pictured on the right.
           Lattice Scarf (Original Design)            Lattice Shawl and Headband (Original Design) 
 Lattice Shawl close up
     Part 2 of 2, drum roll please... I taught my first knitting class tonight. One hour down (towards my certification as part of the Instructor's Program with the Craft Yarn Council) and 14 more to go. Eileen and Claudia, with occasional help from Joanna who's sitting in the middle, made beautiful progress on their Lattice Scarves. I even used my pattern, writing software to write and chart the pattern. Dare I break into song again...
Victoria's first ever knitting class with Eileen, Joanna and Claudia!


     So that concludes my week of finished projects. I can think of at least 10 other projects that I gave away before I could photograph them, so if I get any pictures of the missing treasures, I'll be sure you let you know. I have big plans for next week and am still waiting for an important email which I'll tell you about if it ever comes.

Teaching Knitting,

Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment