Friday, January 10, 2014

More knitted items for kids

Week 2 = Catalog Finished Projects
Day 3 = January, 10 2014
 
     To continue yesterday's theme, I have more items that I have knitted for kids.
 
     We begin with the blue hat that I made for one of the charity projects the Flowertown Knitting Guild participated in last year. It is a basket weave pattern done in a super soft yarn so as to not itch little heads. The red hat is one that a friend was giving away and I wanted to inspect the various components. With the inspection done, I also donated the red hat to the charity project.
Blue Baskets (Original Design)
 
     This is an infant hat that I made for a college friend who was expecting. The pattern is a simple one from Easy as 1-2-3 Skeins called Preemie Beanie that I modified from 3 colors to 2. I was able to knit this in a few hours.
Preemie Beanie (Original Design)
 
     My daughter Joanna fell in love with this yarn and picked out the colors orange and blue for her blanket and yellow and purple for her sister's blanket, both pictured below. These lap blankets were easily knit on size 17 needles, each in an afternoon. The most time consuming thing was that you had to "throw" (knitting term for a style of knitting) the yarn for every stitch because of the textured yarn.
Neon Stripes  (Original Design)
 Neon Squares  (Original Design)
 
     I am extremely proud of Jessica's Winter Set, both for my huge accomplishment in a new technique and a huge screw-up in an awesome original design that did not turn out the way I wanted. The hat is double knit, meaning that it was knit to be a mirror image reversible hat. Where you see pink on the outside there is multi-color on the inside and where you see multicolor on the outside is pink on the inside. The scarf is the one that I am more impressed with because it is a glorious failure. The I am so proud is that I did NOT rip it out when my idea did not work. Yeah me!
 Jessie's Winter Set  (Original Designs)
 
     Last year my Guild and several knitting friends wanted to do something for Emily Spearman, the owner of The Village Knittery, our local yarn shop. This beautiful yarn was left over from that project. To check out the blanket we made for Emily click here. I had been wanting to make Joanna a shawl for some time and this was a quick garter stitch on size 17 needles.
 Tweed Shawl (Original Design)
 
     This is a cowl for my daughter Helen that I made with a dropped yarn over stitch. She almost didn't get it because it is the perfect size for me to wear as a headband. I love multi use items.
 Long Stitch Cowl (Original Design)
 
     I made this short children's scarf a long time ago. I wanted to explore traditional and nontraditional cables. I think the pairing of smaller cables with a larger one fit perfectly.
Triple Cable (Original Design) 
 
     This is a slouchy beanie modeled by my 3-year old that I made for my 13-year old. I loved the bands of color and how they are different textures which added a beautiful design element to the hat. 
 
Holey Slouchy Beanies (Original Design)
 
     I have made more then just these, but I tend to be gift happy when I finish a project and give them away before I photograph them. See you tomorrow for an update on my journey to becoming a Certified Knitting Instructor.

Knitting,

Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment