Friday, January 24, 2014

Fiction knitting novels... Who would have thought?


Week 4 = Cataloging Magazines, Books and Patterns
Day 3 = January 24, 2014

Jessie's Blanket
 
 
     Did you know there are novels based around knitting? I think that this is amazing and very clever. Over the years I have picked up a few knitting books that are for fun, leisurely reading and not pattern, stitch or yarn information.
     Here are a few of my favorites.

The Friday Night Knitting Club
Knit Two
Knit the Seasons
     by Kate Jacobs
     This cute trilogy is based in NYC and is about a yarn shop run by a mother-daughter team. Let me tell you, I was sucked in from the beginning of the first book. The detail to the characters and also about the knitting was excellent.

Zen and the Art of Knitting
     by Bernadette Murphy
     The cover of the book explains it all. "Explores the links between knitting, spirituality and creativity."


A Dark and Stormy Knit
     by Anne Canadeo
     The book is signed by the author. I met Anne at the Stitches East conference in November. This is the fifth in a series of... Knitting Mystery Novels. Double shocker, first knitting novels and now knitting mystery series, too. Wow!


The Knitting Circle
     by Ann Hood
     This one is very moving. It's about a mother who loses her only child and joins a knitting group to fill her days. I love it... knitting can save you too.


Knit with Love
     by Lisa Bogart
     "We all need stories to warm a knitter's heart", just as the cover says.


     These are the ones that I have, but there are a many more that I am interested in reading. You should take some time and dive into the knitting black hole. Go onto Amazon.com and look up "knitting fiction." There are over 400 books. That is a lot of fun reading, or you can be like me and get the book on CD and listen to it whenever you are in your car. Just be careful about leaving it on if your spouse will be using your car. My husband borrowed my car and on popped Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's, At Knit's End: Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much. This was not a good thing because it was right in a section where she was talking about hiding yarn from her husband all over the house. After hearing that, my husband got suspicious.


Question of the Day
What's your favorite knitting fiction novel that you have read or want to read?


Fictitiously Knitting,


Victoria

4 comments:

  1. Well, you can't forget the hilariously titled, "Crazy Aunt Purl's Drunk, Divorced, and Covered in Cat Hair: The True-Life Misadventures of a 30-Something Who Learned to Knit After He Split"! Available on Amazon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! And all of Debbie Macomber novels that center around a yarn store. I can't remember their titles. I believe there's always a pattern included in the novel that relates to the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,

    Thanks for mentioning the others novels to check out. I did know of the Debbie Macomber novels but had never heard of the Crazy Aunt Purl's one. I think that I will have to look for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too remember Debbie Macomber's novels. I'll have to see if our library has any of her audiobooks so I can listen to them the next time I take a car trip. Mom

    ReplyDelete