Thursday, January 9, 2014

Knit items for the youngsters!

Week 2 = Catalog Finished Projects
Day 2 = January 8, 2014

     I actually got back into knitting when I was pregnant with my daughter Joanna. I had a deep urge to have a knitted blanket for my daughter that I could wrap her in when we brought her home from the hospital. Also, at that time, I did not know how to read knitting patterns. They very well could have been written in Russian for all the sense that they made to me. I knew the 2 basic knitting stitches, Knit and Purl, so I designed my own baby blankets.

     Starting with blankets of any size was quite ambitious of me, but I persisted and came up with some of these beautiful baby blankets.

     This was the first baby blanket that I did. I can still remember calculating the stitches and rows needed with my Mom. I knew the size that I wanted the blanket to be, but had no idea how many stitches or rows to do. So, thanks to my great addition, subtraction, division and multiplication ability, I was able to get exactly what I wanted which was a baby blanket that had a nice array of different stitches and colors.
Benjamin's Blanket (Original Design)


     This one I made for my nephew.  Unlike the previous blanket, I wanted this one to fit a crib. As every mom knows, most baby blankets are the perfect width for a crib but way too short for the length of the crib. So I whipped out my crazy math skills and modified the design of the next blanket to come up with the measurements for this one. It is knit diagonally as you can see by the slant of the stripes and I also changed the color arrangement from squares to stripes.
Jio's Blanket (Original Design)


     This one holds a special place in my heart. It is what I consider my first truly original design. My daughter, Helen, was wrapped in this blanket when she was 8 days old and brought home from the hospital. Like the blanket above, this one is also knit on the diagonal from one corner to the opposite corner with step increases on the sides instead of the usual steady increase to have a smooth edge. 
Helen's Blanket (Original Design)


     This was my first commissioned work. I was tasked with making a unisex baby blanket for a baby that would be born in the late fall/early winter in Eastern Pennsylvania. My client wanted a blanket similar to Jio's Blanket (see 2 above).
Sunshine Slide (Original Design)


     These two scarves were made for my daughter's friends, once again designing from my head and not a pattern.
    Blue Patchwork (Original Design)                      Golden Slants (Original Design)


     These ruffle scarves are all the rage right now. I see them every where I go. I picked this multi-color skein specifically because it was bright and bubbly like my oldest daughter, April. I knit it according to the pattern on the label.
 Rainbow Ruffle


     This is a generic knit scarf, made for a neighbor's granddaughter, that looks fancy and elegant because of the yarn. You do not always have to do an over-the-top, intricate pattern.
Mauve Mady (Original Design)


     SNAKE!!!!!! Don't worry, they are just toys. These two pals were knitted based off of a necklace pattern that I modified. My daughter, Joanna, and niece, Kristina, absolutely love playing with these. Actually, Joanna would not go to bed tonight without her snake.
Slithering Pals (Original Design) 


     I did not want my daughter to be afraid of MONSTERS in her room, so I made Shanda the Shadow Monster. Most of the patterns I saw were small (6-8 inches tall) and that did not seem like the proper size for a protector.
Shanda the Shadow Monster (Original Design) 


     I have quite a lot more kid items to share with you, but I do not want to overdo it. So take a break and check back tomorrow to see what other  different kids items I have.

Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment