Monday, January 27, 2014

Update on previous blogs.

Week 4 = Cataloging Books, Magazines and Patterns
Day 6 = January 27, 2014

3 types of yarn that were all hand dyed with Indigo.

     Today I wanted to go back a few weeks and give you an update on my new WiP, 4 hidden finished projects and my Certification program. I also wanted to update you on the yarn from my Indigo Dying Workshop on Saturday.

     My newest WiP, is a lovely lattice cowl which is one of my original designs. It's knitted with some gorgeous handspun yarn especially spun for me by my bestie, Eileen. I had told her my favorite color was red and this is what she came up with. If you remember, I have made a couple other projects with the lattice pattern, a kid's cowl/adult headband and a shawl.
Lattice Cowl (Original Design) 

     After I wrote about my finished projects, I found several other projects. They are pictured below.

     The first really, I mean, really big project that I every did was this twin blanket for my daughter. I did not mean for it to be a twin blanket since I was not using a pattern... it just happened. The feel of the yarn reminded me of chenille. There is a pattern of diamonds in the center in the stockinette and reverse stockinette stitch which is very hard to see in the photo. Because of space concerns I folded the blanket in half to take this picture.
 Diamond Blanket (Original Design)

     I was wondering if I could make my own project bag out of some of the not-so-nice yarns that I have in my stash. Well, it worked. I used 4 strands of worsted weight yarn on size 17 knitting needles. I first knit the bottom and then picked up stitches to join the sides and knit in the round until I liked the height, being sure to do a yarn over at the height that I wanted to insert the draw string. I then made an I-cord with only 2 strands of yarn and ta-da, a project bag.
 Small Knitting Bag - closed (Original Design)
Small Knitting Bag - opened (Original Design)

     My first grocery bag was stupendous. I knit the bottom rectangle then picked up stitches on all 4 sides, just like the project bag above. I then did a few rows of stockinette. The multi-color part of the pattern was done on a circular needle 4 sizes bigger that the green color to create a looser and more expandable bag. As you can see on the strap I ran out of the dark green yarn. I think that it adds character. I added put a button and small strap at the top so that it had some type of closure.
Grocery Bag (Original Design)

     I wanted a bigger change purse and thought, "Well, I can surely think of some way to knit that." I came up with this and found an even better use for it. I put all my appointment reminder cards in this along with some business cards. So convenient and versatile.
 Business Card Holder - closed (Original Design)
Business Card Holder - opened (Original Design)

     I have made little progress on my knitting certification program. Getting the reading done is a lot harder than I thought it would be with 3 kids ages 3, 2 and 1 running around my house all afternoon and evening. I greatly overestimated my available time. However, for the teaching portion I have been talking with my knitting friends and my various knitting groups about the certification. Many wonderful ladies are willing and able to attend any classes I offer in order to help me get me my student teacher hours. I love y'all, you know who you are.

     Last, but not least... actually best... I have pictures of my 3 hanks of yarn from the Indigo Dyeing Workshop that I took last Saturday. First we have Knit Picks, Bare which is Fingering weight yarn and consists of 75% Superwash Merino Wool and 25% Nylon. I purposely tried to get this yarn as dark as possible because, as I said last week, I want to make socks with this yarn. Here is a before and after picture for you.

     Next, we have Fibra Natura, Shepard's Own from The Village Knittery, which is Worsted weight yarn and is 100% All Natural Undyed Wool. 


     Lastly, is also from The Village Knittery, is Appalachain, Baby Design which is DK weight yarn and is 100% Organic Cotton. This hank of yarn came out noticeably different than the other two yarns. There are several white spots as you can see below. Most of the white spots are where the yarn was gathered. Because of the density of the cotton yarn, the dye was not able to penetrate it thoroughly. 


     That is the last of my updates for you. I have some cool patterns books picked out to share with you tomorrow. See you then.

 

Question of the Day
What knitting items have you finished or just started recently?


 
Updating My Knitting,

Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment