Sunday, March 23, 2014

Yarn is glorious!

Week 12 = Catching Up
Day 5 = March 23, 2014

     Yarn is your friend. Being a knitter, we sometimes can get carried away with our, "friends" and just buy more because they are all so pretty. Well I have started to hone my "friend" buying excursions, to only buy yarn for which I have a project in mind. This is great because now I know what I am going to knit. However my cabinets are getting full of bags of project yarn... But who cares? Here are some of my recent project yarn purchases.

     First, we have a fun combo of Lion Brand's Fun Fur and Red Heart's Boutique Unforgettable. The Fun Fur the colors flamingo and grape. The Unforgettable color is Winery. These yarns are intended for knitting matching capes for a 9 year old and her American Girls doll cape, for a friends daughter's birthday next month. The daughter was afraid to ask me to make her doll a cape so she asked her mom to ask me. So cute!

     Next, I have some super bulky Lion Brand's Hometown USA and Homespun Thick and Quick. The Hometown color is Denver Rocky Mountain and the Homespun color is Greystone Stripes. I am going to use this yarn to refresh my memory for the arm knitting class that I will be teaching in a few weeks. I made a scarf using the arm knitting technique last October with 1 strand of bulky yarn and 2 strands of worsted yarn. So, needless to say, it is a very loose and airy scarf. I wanted to be able to give my students a view of how different size yarns would look.

     Gifted yarn is the best. My friend, Lynn, got this Premier Yarn's Starbella in color Autumn at a conference as a welcome gift. She had no use for it and offered it up at one of our weekly knitting groups. At the time I received it, I had intended to use it for ruffle scarves which I am not fond of, but apparently they sell well. Then literally the day after I got the yarn from Lynn, I saw a women in Joann's with the cutest purse that used the ruffle yarn as an accent. It was a crochet pattern and I am now determined figure out how to knit it.

     My final buy was this Bernat's Mosaic in color Medusa. The name itself is scary delicious. My Mom found a pattern from Red Heart, Cuff to Cuff Sweater. I loved the design and the way the sweater is knit. The only thing that I didn't like was the color options for the suggested Red Heart's Boutique Treasure yarn. Not willing to let this stop me, I searched until I found this yarn and instantly fell in love with the burnt, fiery colors.

     As I begin these projects, I will be sure to keep you up to date and we will see if they are as fabulous in my mind as they are once actually knitted.

Question of the day
What yarn have you bought for a project recently?

Knitting with Purpose,

Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment