Friday, March 7, 2014

Discontinued Yarns

Week 10 = CYCCIP
Day 3 = March 7, 2014




Picture from Universal Yarn website

     When knitting, you come across dilemmas like, what size garment to make, how much yarn do I need, I didn't get enough yarn and so on. But there is one dilemma that takes the cake when you are knitting, designing or planning a new project. Here is how it goes:
  • You have designed something fabulous.
  • You find the perfect yarn, on sale no less.
  • You start to knit your trial piece, making adjustments as you go.
  • You have completed your trial piece.
  • It looks beautiful!
  • You look into getting more yarn to make more.
  • DISCONTINUED is what you see on the yarn company's web site.
  • You are deflated.
     I was thrilled when I was developing the design for my Scood (SCarf/hOOD) and found what I felt was the perfect yarn, Universal Yarn Inc.'s, Soleil. It is textured, 100% Cotton and therefore washable.


     When I found the yarn at my local yarn shop and it was on sale, I thought that it was probably out of season or slow moving stock. Either of these mean that I could easily find more online at any of the various internet retailers. Oh, how wrong was I.


     Finding the perfect yarn for a design is harder than designing for a yarn. Also, finding the perfect yarn for a design is harder that finding yarn for a knitting project. In this case, I plan on optioning my pattern to yarn magazines, yarn companies and so on. One of the main things to think about when designing for the potential of selling is to make sure that the yarn you are going to use is readily available for the consumer!


     Now, I could find 2 skeins here and there for me to personally use to make more Scood's. But I want to publish my design, so back to the yarn shop I go. I know I will be able to find something to replace the Soleil yarn, but this was my baby, my first choice. Give me a moment while I get over the separation anxiety... Okay, I am good now.


     So, moral of the story: Ask your yarn shop exactly why they have the yarn on sale? Could it be because of season, low sales or... discontinued!


Question of the day
What yarn have you needed that has been discontinued?


Discontinued Knitting,


Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment