Thursday, March 6, 2014

Student Teaching Hours

Week 10 = CYCCIP
Day 2 = March 6, 2014


Knitting: Cable: Cable and
Aol images

     Thus far I have 6.5 hours of my student teaching hours done. That is more than I thought, but not enough when combined with the classes I am scheduled to teach throughout March and April.


     So I have an easy fix to gain more hours. Have some knitting friends over for a lovely dinner and then... hold them hostage while I teach a class. Just kidding on the hostage part... Everyone has been very receptive so far. All I need is someone who is willing to listen and learn about knitting and there is no stopping me.


     For example, tonight I taught my bestie, Eileen, how to do a reversible cable. Now, she had done a gorgeous baby blanket with a reversible cable before, but she did not understand the mechanics or reasoning for certain things in the pattern. She just did the stitches as the pattern said and came out with a baby blanket just the same. But tonight I sat with her while teaching my pattern and explained the reason for switching the border and the reason for the increased number of stitches to make the cable. She ended up with a much happier response to the project all because she understood the reasons for the stitches and pattern.


     Some knitters can knit to knit. I feel the need to knit as well as understand what the designer is saying and why. That is why I put little helpful hints and tips on my patterns just like Cast On magazine does.


     We can't always talk to the designer (though that would be nice) of our chosen pattern, but we can talk to a Knitting Instructor or someone at our local yarn shop. So, if you want to know the 'why' behind the 'what' find one of these people and ask away.


Question of the day
What question about a knitting pattern have you
always wanted to ask the designer?


Knitting Cables,


Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment