Saturday, February 8, 2014

Project updates

Week 6 = Knitting Groups
Day 4 = February 8, 2014

     Short and sweet is the name of the game tonight. I have a finished project to show and an update on a WiP.

     First, my finished project is the Litoral yarn that I got last week at The Village Knittery birthday bash. I did a simple cowl 20 stitches wide until I ran out of yarn, then did the Kitchener stitch to complete the cowl. The interesting part is that I used a provisional cast on (my first time) to be able to do a seamless looking Kitchener stitch. When you do a provisional cast on you take a random/scrap piece of yarn and do your cast on row. On your second row you simple use your normal yarn and continue with the normal yarn. In my case, when I was close to running out of yarn, I carefully took out the provisional cast on and transferred the open stitches to a knitting needle and, voila, you are all set for the Kitchener stitch.

     I was making great progress on my head wrap scarf project. Keyword is WAS. I got the first 26 border rows done easy-peasy, 280 stitches in garter - pretty quick knitting. Then I got measurements from my fabulous model, aka the mother-in-law, for the short row section in the center. I got completely done with the short row section and was about to start the ending 26 border rows, when I decided to try it on. Am I glad and mad that I did. I'm glad because I realized I needed more width and hadn't completely finished the project yet. I am mad because I now had to rip out 60 rows of knitting and recalculate my short rows. YEAH <--- Completely sarcastic. So here is a picture with only a few rows of the short row pattern, i.e. the red yarn.
    
     I said short and sweet and I meant it. There you have it.

Question of the day
What is the biggest goof that you have done and fixed in a knitting project?

Fixing my Knitting,

Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment