Sunday, February 2, 2014

Happy Birthday to The Village Knittery!

Week 5 = Cataloging Patterns
Day 5 = February 2, 2014



     I mentioned yesterday that I went with my best friend to my local yarn shop, The Village Knittery. I love the shop and the staff. The owner, Emily, is a friend and a Flowertown Knitting Guild member. The staff, most of them friends, also are helpful, courteous and knowledgeable about all things knitting and crochet related. This is how the Knittery, as some of us locals call it, describes itself on their website.



"The Village Knittery is a place to discover fine yarns and
fibers from around the world. Located in Historic Downtown
Summerville, SC, The Village Knittery is more than a yarn
shop. It's a place to relax, to share and to celebrate the joys
of creating. We cherish the history of knitting, while
embracing the future of the fiber arts."

 


     Now doesn't that just make you want to grab your softest yarn, put your feet up and knit with them. It's hard to believe how far I have come in my relationship with the store and staff in just the past 2 years. I was extremely pregnant and wanted to get some yarn and knitting needles for the Truffle Hat Pattern that I showed you in Friday's blog. Well Emily, in her ever polite and southern hospitality demeanor, was there ready to help me immediately. Since then I've had my 2nd daughter, joined the Guild, started this blog and am designing patterns. The Village Knittery has celebrated 2 more years and a move last October to a glorious new and much needed larger shop.
    
     This weekend was their annual birthday celebration and, wow, was the place packed! I wanted to do a little show and tell for you of my purchases and I also have a new finished project and WiP to share.
 

     My new WiP is a head scarf/wrap of my own design, that uses short rows. I had previously bought several hanks of Universal Yarn Inc.'s Soleil in colors Henna and Aurora Red, on sale. I realized that I didn't have enough yarn so I went back and got 2 more hanks yesterday.

    
     I finished my lattice cowl last night. It was the project that I taught for my first official knitting class. I used the yarn my bestie, Eileen handspun for me at Christmas. So pretty!!

    
     My guild had a class last fall about a knitting technique call Entrelac. I have been fascinated with it ever since. Well last week I found a pattern on Ravelry and it combines Butterflies (another obsession of mine) and Entrelac. The pattern is called Knitted Scarf Butterflies by Svetlana Gordon, pictured below left. The yarn that I got for it is Classic Elite Yarns, Liberty Wool Light, color 6662 pictured below right.


 

 
     In Friday's blog I showed you the Cozy Cosette Footsies by Julie O'Neil, pictured below left. I picked Wildfoote Luxury Sock Yarn from Brown Sheep Company, Inc. in the color Geranium, pictured below right. Again as you have heard before, red is my favorite color.
  

    

      The pièce de résistance is Aslan Trends, Litoral in color 1318. This is labeled as a "Fantasy Luxury Yarn" and does it ever fit the bill. I'm thinking that this will be a cowl or a shawl, not quite sure yet. I saw the red in this yarn out of the corner of my eye and was inspired just looking at it.

    
      So that's my take home from The Village Knittery yesterday and the patterns that I intend to use. I hope something caught your eye.


Question of the Day
What yarn has inspired you recently?


Knitting New,



Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment