Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Knitting Groups

Week 6 = Knitting Groups
Day 1 = February 5, 2014

Hanks of yarn
 

     Knitting when you're at home is so much different than knitting with a knitting group. Now, I don't just mean going to a knitting group, but also a Guild, a KAL (Knit-Along, remember from yesterday), an internet group and so on. When you share your work with other knitters it's different than trying to explain a really cool technique to your husband or mother-in-law who looks at you as if you are speaking Japanese. <--(Real life experience here, not just a metaphor.)


     This week I am going to look at some of the different knitting groups out there nationally and locally here, including the following:
  • Flowertown Knitting Guild - Local Guild
  • Ravelry.com - Internet Forum
  • Summerville Knitters - Local Social Group
  • The Knitting Guild Association (TKGA) - National Guild
  • KAL - Local and National

     All of these I know about personally, so I'll give you lots of tidbits.  I'll also research them as if I were a new knitter to give you a complete picture.


     I joined my first knitting group, Summerville Knitters, in March of 2012. I can thank my husband for it, too. At the time, I was 7 months pregnant and wanted to go to the local fair. He did not. So to punish him, I left him at his mother's with our then 2 year old to go do something for myself... Knit. I know, big punishment, I left him alone... So thank you honey, for saying no. I don't think I would know any of these fabulous women, have learned so many new techniques or picked up so many cool patterns if you hadn't pissed off your 7 months pregnant wife. Love you.


Question of the Day
What knitting groups do you belong to/participate in?
 
 
Group Knitting,
 
Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment