Saturday, May 24, 2014

Two Socks in One: The War & Peace Method


Week 21 = In-depth Class Reviews
Day 4 = May 24, 2014

     To continue the in-depth view of both Mom's and my classes and what we learned, here is what I have for you today.

Mom's Class


Nancy Shroyer – How to Select Color Palettes for Knitting and Other Fiber Arts
 
Talk about color overload…Wow!!  I chose this class because I wanted to learn how to choose colors for knitting projects that would work well together and be pleasing to the eye.  What I came away with was a way to look at color everywhere in my life, not just in my knitting.  As an example, I now have the tools to go home and look at the colors in my home and choose a palette for our – hopefully - soon to be renovated kitchen!  That’s progress for me.  Thank you, Nancy, for bringing colors into my life.
 

Victoria's Class

     The Class: Two Socks in One: The War & Peace Method
     The Instructor: Kate Atherley
     Class Size: 15
     Rating (1 Unhappy - 10 Ecstatic): 10
     Best thing about the class: Everything: the method, the teacher, the class size, the teaching method... It was all GREAT!
     Needs improvement: There wasn't a thing that I would even consider needing improvement.
     The Review: This class was way more awesome than I expected. I did not expect to have my mind blown by such simple material as knitting socks. The training socks I knit in class are pictured below. The green sock was on the outside and the orange sock was on the inside. Here is the sequence of me pulling the socks apart just after I finished knitting them.
 
 
 
 
Don't I look ecstatic? I was thrilled with this class, beyond belief.
     I am overjoyed with the amount of material that I learned. Plus, I am definitely going to be using this method on my own. The large class size of 15 students could have made for a very impersonal experience... but it didn't because of Kate's teaching style. Kate would get down on the floor and have us gather around her as she demonstrated a technique or new stitch. The handout was clear and precise and the materials required for the class were all there. Another great attribute to Kate's teaching style is that she likes to tell you the steps and get you comfortable with the process before she distributes her handouts. This allows for the whole class to follow along at the same speed and prevent any hiccups when a student goes ahead of the class and gets stuck. In class we did a set of training socks. In our handouts, we were also given a pattern for a normal pair of socks that we could attempt at a later date.

Knitting question of the day
Would you attempt this method of knitting socks? 
 
Knitting Two Socks in One,

Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment