Monday, May 19, 2014

Special program with my Dad

Week 20 = Interweave Knitting Lab
Day 6 = May 19, 2014

Now                                         About 1 year old
William Preston Frederick, Jr.
 
     Tonight I had the pleasure of going to my Dad's retirement party. My Dad has been working as an Architect for the State of Connecticut for 37 years. There was a wonderful banquet with over 45 people to celebrate my Dad. To make things even more special, my brother and I were also able to attend and share this day with my Dad. Here is a picture of the 4 of us.

     Kathryn Smith, Commissioner of the Department of Economic and Community Development of the State of Connecticut, gave a warm welcome and thanks for my Dad's service at the party. An Official Statement from the Governor of Connecticut, Dannel P. Malloy, was read and part of it stated:
"Therefore, I, Dannel P. Malloy, Govenor of the State of Connecticut, do hereby 
convey honor and recognition upon William Frederick in the State of Connecticut."
     
     In the same manner, Steven N. Wawruck, Jr., the First Selectman of the Town of Windsor Locks, where we were raised and my parents still live, sent a proclamation that proclaimed:
May 19, 2014
as
"William P. Frederick Day"
     Isn't this cool...my Dad has his own day!
 
     During my Dad's speech he mentioned his 3 greatest accomplishments, 1 convincing my mother to marry him, 2 me as his daughter and 3 Paul, my brother, as his son. He gave many words of wisdom that moved me and I would like to share some of them with you.
"Accept yourself for who you are, faults and all."
"Do your best - mistakes are inevitable, learn from them."
"How and what is the key. Try to understand why."
"Don't ever put yourself down."
"Listen."

     To end this, I want to say how proud I am of my Dad and how much it meant to be able to share this momentous event with my family. One more thing, in his speech my Dad called me an Knitting Expert (tee-hee-hee). I am still smiling from ear to ear because my Daddy thinks so highly of me.

Knitting question of the day
What advice have you gotten from your parents?

Knitting Expert,

Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment