Thursday, May 22, 2014

Double-Knitting Cables

Week 21 = In-depth Class Reviews
Day 2 = May 22, 2014

     To continue the in-depth view of both Mom's and my classes and what we learned, here is what I have for you today.

Mom's Class


Kate Atherley – Fixing Mistakes
What a fun lady…what a fun class!  Kate is very lively and easy going, with a caffeine kick from her much loved morning coffee.  She is so at ease as an instructor that she asked us what we’d like to learn and used that as the starting point for a morning of lively interaction and great solutions to problems that have been the vain of our knitting existence.  Kate has a very down to earth teaching style – literally – popping down to sit on the floor when she demonstrates a technique so we could all see.  Thank you, Kate, for giving me some great solutions and the confidence to fix those projects I’ve set aside because of mistakes that stopped me in my tracks.  I will think of you and remember your energetic, problem solving demonstrations as I ‘open my knitting repair shop’ and get those old projects back on track.
 

Victoria's Class

     The Class: Double-Knitting Cables
     The Instructor: Alasdair Post-Quinn
     Class Size: 7
     Rating (1 Unhappy - 10 Ecstatic): 8
     Best thing about the class: There were 3 different twisted cables and 8 different traveling cables in one small swatch.
     Needs improvement: The only thing accomplished was the small swatch and while every single one of the 11 different cables are explained at length, I would have liked to have had another pattern "translated" into double knitting speak.
     The Review: This class was more intense than I expected. In no way did I expect the 11 different types of cables. Here is the sample that I made in class.


     I am very pleased with the amount of material that I learned. However, I am a little worried about completing one of these on my own. The small class size of 7 made for a very personalized experience and amply time to knit many of the different types of cables while still in the class. Alasdair had a type of projector that enabled him to easily show what he was knitting on a big projector screen. The handout was clear and precise and the materials required for the class were all there except a U shaped cable needle (see below).

Knitting question of the day
Would you ever attempt Double Knitting? 

Knitting Two Sided,

Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment