Sunday, May 4, 2014

Pattern in a Mobius

Week 18 = Mobius from Cast On to Bind Off
Day 5 = May 4, 2014
    
     Pattern in a Mobius is a fickle thing. I had an idea for an exaggerated striped angle pattern with alternating sections of Stockinette and Reverse Stockinette. Just like my tablet cover from yesterday, only I was going to add a row of eyelets.

     For my first attempt at realizing this design, I did not take into account the varying directions of the Mobius. My stripes started to look like arrows/points. This would have been nice but wasn't what I was looking for. So I have to rip out 6 rows.

     With my second attempt I corrected my design flaw and tried again. This time I got 9 rows in before I realized that the pattern was so busy and took away from the beauty of the yarn. So I ripped it out and started over.

     In the third attempt I got the farthest. I actually finished the Cuddle Mobius Shrug. I chose to do a simple Stockinette and Reverse Stockinette striping with rows of eyelets as an accent. Well, the yarn was absolutely gorgeous but... I had to rip out the whole thing.

     Now you are probably pulling out your hair right now but please don't. I didn't feel the need to do that. When I was looking online for patterns to compare, most of the bulky yarn Mobius patterns used US15 knitting needles. I didn't understand why and wanted a tighter knit pattern, so I knit mine on US10.5 knitting needles. Well as I have told you, there is a half-twist in the Mobius, usually featured in the front. The yarn was so bulky that the twist wouldn't allow for the shrug to spread to its full capacity. I know, I know, I could have blocked it, but even when I stretched it out to it's fullest potential it was only about 6" because of the bulk of the twist. Frankly, it looked horrible. The combination of the yarn weight and the tightness was not a good match. So sad...

     But do not fear, I am still going to use the yarn to do a simple rectangular wrap with eyelet accents. I should be able to whip it out in a week. Now for another but... I was hoping to have a finished Mobius for you to see. I am working on another one and if my Mother-in-Law's cats didn't happen to destroy it I will have something to show you.

     "What happened at my Mother-in-Laws?" you ask. Well I had all my knitting in my knitting bag on the table where I always put it. We went outside so the girls could run around and when I came back in my other Mobius was on the floor with the yarn broken, and there were several pieces of broken yarn all over the room. So ass to not freak out right then and there, I picked up my Mobius and the non-soggy, non-slobbery pieces of yarn and decided it was time to go home. I still have not looked at it. I am afraid...

     Don't forget about our MAY Giveaway. To see the full list of rules of the giveaway, click here.

Knitting question of the day
What knitting pet tragedy do you have to tell?

Knitting Over and Over and Over,

Victoria

3 comments:

  1. I have been very fortunate not to have a "pet accident"! Just a snatch and grab, then chase the dog around with the project in her mouth and yarn cake trailing behind. Guess she just wanted my attention!.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No pets,but can be empathetic to your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The closest I've come to a knitting pet tragedy - that I can remember - is my cats attempting to play with my yarn as I was knitting which obviously saved it from being a tragedy, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete