Saturday, May 3, 2014

LYDIA test swatches and Mobius progress

Week 18 = Mobius from Cast On to Bind Off
Day 4 = May 3, 2014
    
     About 2 weeks ago I mentioned that I was allowed to knit some test swatches for a new yarn company, LYDIA. I have pictures for you tonight of my 2 swatches and 1 of the projects I did with some of LYDIA's de-stash yarn. All pictures are courtesy of Savery Knitting.

     First we have the beautiful color explosion that is Grandma's Couch. This is the yarn that I am using for my Cuddle Mobius Shrug. As a reminder, here are the specifics on the yarn. The fiber content is 80% Superwash Merino, 20% Nylon. It is a 1 ply, Bulky weight yarn with 82 yards/100 grams per hank.

     Second, we have the delightfully calm waves that is Oyster Shell. I chose this yarn as our MAY Giveaway because it knits up so smoothly and elegantly. As a reminder, here are the specifics on the yarn. Fiber content is 70% Superwash Merino, 30% Silk. It is a 1 ply, Light Fingering weight yarn with 400 yards/100 grams per hank.

     Third is a tablet cover in one of LYDIA's de-stash yarns. The pattern is one that I designed and includes a pocket for my stylus. I knit it in the round from the bottom up. I used an exaggerated striped angle pattern with alternating sections of Stockinette and Reverse Stockinette. I also created a small pocket in the flap for easy access to my stylus.

     The process of designing something is an intriguing and sometimes frustrating process. I design by knitting first and writing second. This allows for a lot of tinking and ripping (both knitting terms, basically meaning to undo some or all of one's knitting). I have done that 2 times for my Cuddle Mobius Shrug. The first was because the pattern was not turning out like I thought. The second was because I realized the pattern was too busy for the beautiful yarn. Here is a picture of some of my progress as of earlier today.

    
     Don't forget about our MAY Giveaway. To see the full list of rules of the giveaway, click here.

Knitting question of the day
 Have you ever thought of a pattern idea and have it NOT
turn out the way you wanted? If so, what was it?

Test Knitting Swatches,

Victoria

2 comments:

  1. Yes, and YOU BET! The most memorable one was an afghan I "designed." It was a diamond pattern that, if I had finished the project, would have resulted in a VERY long afghan - way out of proportion. The width was fine, but the length was almost 5 feet at the halfway point. Get the picture?! Yeah, me too. That's why it was never finished. To this day, it sits in a bag waiting for me to decide what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. Not skilled enough to design yet.

    ReplyDelete