Thursday, July 31, 2014

To Gift or Not To Gift

Week 31 = The Worth of Your Knitting
Day 2 = July 31, 2014
    
My sister asked for a shawl.
Should I gift her one?
~
My best friend wants a pair of socks.
Should I charge her for the yarn?
~
Aunt Grace asked for a scarf for her neighbor's daughter.
Should I charge her?



     When you get a knitting request, the first thing to think about is WHO will be receiving the item. The person requesting is not always the person receiving.


     My first ever project request was from my Aunt. She asked me to make a baby blanket for her secretary. I gave her a price for the blanket and when I bought the yarn I added that to the total. I am close with my Aunt, so if she had asked for something for herself, I would have probably just said pay me for the yarn. But because it wasn't for her, I gave a price for the baby blanket.

     Generally, when someone specifically asks for a knit item, I will figure a price. If my parents, husband or aunt asked for something for themselves, I would just ask that they cover the cost of the yarn.

     Gifting a knit item that has been requested is completely up to you, the knitter. Just be sure to be consistent. If you decide to charge one Aunt, then it would be wise to charge them all. If you gift items intended for close relatives, then do not charge your wild and out of control niece just to teach her a lesson.

     But my number ONE rule is:
     ALWAYS MAKE THE PERSON REQUESTING THE KNIT ITEM PAY FOR ALL THE SUPPLIES NEEDED TO COMPLETE THE PROJECT.

~~~

For today's Knitting Question of the Day,
go to Savery Knitting on Facebook.


Knitting or Gifting,
 
Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment