Thursday, July 10, 2014

My Reason for Starting to Knit

Week 28 = Pondering Knitting
Day 2 = July 10, 2014

     Starting to knit and learning to knit are 2 different things. I learned to knit when I was 8 or 9 years old. I started to knit 5 years ago when I found out I was pregnant with my first child.

     The reason I started knitting was because I had this deep seated need to create something with my own 2 hands that was useful, pretty and original for my unborn child. However, I cast on for my cousin's baby blanket first, since she was due before me (see picture below).

     Then life, other knitting projects and a 2nd pregnancy continued to get in the way. So I made a 2-part promise to myself. Part 1, was that for my 2nd child I would have a completed baby blanket to bring her home in (see picture below). Part 2, was that as soon as I finished the baby blanket for child 2, I had to start the "baby" blanket for child 1 who was then 2-years old (not really a baby).

     Well, I did start the blanket over 2 years later than I promised... but with 2 kids under the age of 3 it got put on the back burner and I didn't touch it again until last month. I am almost half way done the blanket and because the child is bigger (going on 5-years old now) I have made the blanket a little bit larger than the typical 2'x3' baby blanket. Here is a picture of the as yet unfinished "baby" blanket.

     After all these years, (5+ for those of you who are counting) I still feel the need for my child, who will be starting school in the fall to have her own useful, pretty and original "baby" blanket.

~~~

For todays Knitting question of the day
go to Savery Knitting on Facebook.

 
 Knitting for My Children,

Victoria

1 comment:

  1. Mainly - to save my sanity! I can't just sit in the evening. I need something to occupy my hands and my mind. I have always been a creative type person - crafts of every type and kind! But knitting has filled that void! It is portable and despite the fact that it has taken over my house, it really doesn't require much in the way of supplies (okay.....if you don't count the yarn, and the various types and sizes of needles, and the fact that I know spin which requires roving and have recently started weaving....it really doesn't require too many supplies - okay....I lied! It does seem to grow from one bag to an entire room, to any nook and cranny....but it's all so pretty!!!
    And it does truely make me happy!!

    ReplyDelete