Saturday, November 8, 2014

Buttons, buttons, who's got the buttons...

Week 45 = Shawls
Day 4 = November 8, 2014

Greetings knitters, crafters and interested readers, 

     My daughter is taking a break and allowing me to do tonight’s blog.  I’ve been following this week’s topic of choice, shawls – 1 of my favorite things to knit – and immediately thought about how often I wish my shawls and wraps came with some way to keep them from slipping off my shoulders.  
      There seem to be so few designs that have buttons or clasps of some sort that are permanently attached.  Really??  Maybe it’s time to explore the possibilities that do exist…

 

Here's the perfect example of how buttons give this shawl 
greater versatility in how it can be worn.



Love this wrap because of it's creative use of buttons.  They are not only functional, but very decorative.  And you get three different ways to wear this great wrap.


I like this style because it's cozy warm! and will keep the winter chill at bay 
while leaving my hands free to knit, read or do whatever I like to do.

Buttons are not the only functional or decorative way to keep your shawl in place.  
Ties can be part of the original pattern or added later.



Now this one is so cute.  I'd love to knit it for my granddaughters!

     Having perused the pages of Ravelry, I've found that there doesn't seem to be a large selection of shawls and wraps with some kind of clasp or attachment.  Still, the possibilities are endless.

     So here's a challenge.  Find a shawl or wrap pattern you like and design a way to add some kind of closure, be it buttons, ties, zipper, decorative clasp, or something of your own creation.  Complete the project and share it to your Ravelry page where we can all enjoy it and get more ideas for our own future projects.  Above all, have fun doing it.  

Knitting with buttons...maybe,
Carol

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Mom for filling in. Now I have an idea of what to do with some of the old family buttons. Yippee!

    ReplyDelete