Thursday, April 24, 2014

Mink and Baby Alpaca

Week 17 = Luxury Yarns
Day 2 = April 24, 2014

***Email subscribers, please see note at bottom of  today's blog.***

     Today we are going to take on Luxury Yarns that have an awesome texture. This mean that the yarns are soft, they want to be petted and most of all they want to be made into something that will be either tight or against your skin. If you are a knitter, this is all normal to you. If not... oh well, your loss.

     First I have MINK! The yarn is delicately soft, the color has this beautiful sheen and it is a bit pricey (as you will see below). Last fall when I went to Stitches East in Hartford, CT, and I fell in love with a long flowing creamy beige coat at the Great Yarns booth. I talked with the Rep and found out that it was the Ribbed One Piece Rectangular Coat. My next question was, "What was it knit with because it was just so soft and gorgeous?" She told me that it was knit with 13 hanks of their Pure Elegance, which is 100% combed MINK. I gasped because the price of each hank was $25 for 330 yards. Now I love knitting but not enough to make a $325 coat, especially since I have a 1 and a 4 year old. So I bid the coat ado with a tear in my eye. But... before the end of the conference I went back and bought a skein of the Mink in color 17 - Burgundy Marl. Then my mom got me 2 skeins for Christmas. So I have 3 hanks of this lovely Mink waiting on me to decide what it is going to become.

     Second I have Baby Alpaca! As we know, just about any baby animal is super soft, fluffy and furry. So, it is only natural that one would eventually use the fur from said super soft baby animal and create yarn. Baby Alpaca is super soft, has a rich natural color and some brands are very affordable. Lion Brand Yarns has a line of yarn called the LB Collection. According to their website it features "A line of quality, premium fiber yarns, all at a reasonable price point."  The yarns are:

     I have 3 skeins of the Baby Alpaca 2 in color #125 Fawn Heather and 1 in color #124 Tan. Each skein is 146 yards and I have a special project in mind for this beautiful yarn. As stated on their website, "The LB Collection is exclusively available through Lion Brand via LionBrand.com, the Lion Design catalog, the Lion Brand Yarn Studio in New York City, and the Lion Brand Yarn Outlet in Carlstadt, New Jersey. Because these yarns are specially made in small batches, these yarns are not available through any other retailer." So you will not be able to find it at your local yarn store.

Knitting question of the day
Which would you like to knit with more, Mink or Baby Alpaca?

Knitting with Mink,

Victoria

*** Email subscribers, first of all thank you for signing up to receive my blog posts daily. I greatly appreciate the time you take to spend with me each day. I recently had a friend (this is for you :) Darla) ask about answering the question of the day. Email subscribers can't respond to the question because you are not technically on the web page. However, I have come up with a solution. Forward me the blog email with your name and answer at the top and I will be glad to post it online for you. This way you will qualify for some giveaways that I have planned starting next week. OOOPS, I let slip the secret for the end of the week. Darn.***
 

No comments:

Post a Comment