Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Creativity Runs in the Family

Week 48 = Give Thanks
Day 7 = December 2, 2014
 
     Today I am thankful for the creativity that runs in my family. Ten years ago I claimed a dining room table out of the depths of my parent's basement. It was in desperate need of refinishing and was missing the leaves that went in the center to expand the table. Long ago the table used to be in my great grandparents' house when my mother was young, so it holds a lot of sentimental value for me. Well, that sentimental value has quadrupled today.

     Last May I asked my Dad if he could make some leaves for the table. When I moved with the table to SC, it was to the home of 2 young adults who hardly ever used it. Now it is used by my family of 5 and guests. It hasn't really fit the expanded needs of my family for several years.

      The new handmade leaves were unveiled this afternoon and they are beyond astoundingly gorgeous. See for your self...
 
 
Before & After...a piece of the old piano with the newly finished leaf


27-1/2" of beautiful woodwork

 
What gorgeous leaves - time for me to refinish the rest of the table top.
 
  
 
     To add even more sentiment to the 2 leaves that my Dad handmade for my great grandparents' dining room table, guess what my Dad did? He made the 2 leaves out of remnants of the old piano that I grew up playing which ALSO belonged to my great grandparents. Let's just throw in a heap of inspiration and tears at the meaningfulness if the whole thing.
 

Thanks Dad


 
Knitting Family Creativity,
 
Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment